Welcome to the Kangaroos class.
Mrs Shiland: Class Teacher
Mrs Jones: Teaching Assistant
Welcome to the Kangaroos class! The Kangaroos is a Reception class which currently has 24 hard-working pupils! Our teacher is Mrs Shiland and our teaching assistant is Mrs Jones.
We work hard in the Kangaroos and we play hard too! We have lots of fun learning about interesting topics. At the beginning of each half term we help our teachers to plan our topic. We decide what we want to learn about and which challenges we would like to complete.
Every morning we have Read, Write, Inc sessions, Read, Write, Inc is a phonics programme designed to introduce the skills of reading and writing from initial sounds right through to comprehension and extended writing activities. We also have Mathematics in the mornings, we learn from the Numicon and Inspire Maths schemes.
The Kangaroos Class is divided in to the different Foundation Phase Areas. Each area has a challenge to enhance our learning and develop new skills. This is changed on a weekly or fortnightly basis changed according to the theme.
We like to learn outdoors as well as in the classroom and try to get outside as much as possible. We have weekly outdoor learning sessions throughout the year and also have the chance to enjoy Forest School and Diggerland sessions.
We have PE sessions once a week, and during one half-term a year we go to the local Leisure Centre for half hour swimming lessons. The children also have the opportunity to participate in gymnastics sessions with a qualified instructor.
Some important information:
- The class door is opened at 8.45 and the register is taken at 9am, please be in school before this time.
- Fruit and milk are given for snack, this can be paid for weekly or half termly - the cost is 25p per day / £1.25 per week.
- We post pictures of what we are up to on Twitter, download the app and follow us if you haven't already!
- We use the See-Saw app to liaise with our parents, this is free to download and is a great way of communicating so please get it if you don't have it already!
- Leo the class doll goes home with one child each week, please help your child to fill in his diary and include pictures/ drawings/ leaflets from his weekend.
- Our 'Share Session' is on a Thursday from 3.15, if you have any questions or concerns then the Kangaroos staff will be available on this day.
- Your child will be given a reading day at the beginning of the school year. They will read on this day each week but please ensure they bring their books to school every day.
- Our PE day, this half term, is a Thursday - please ensure PE kits are in school and labelled.
Throughout the year we learn about lots of exciting things! Please have a look below to find out more...
The Kangaroos’ topic this term is The Park.
Over the next 7 weeks we will be:
- Observing the frog life-cycle
- Making mini-beast masks
- Performing mini-beast songs and rhymes
- Visiting the R.S.P.B reserve
- Learning to respect and care for our environment
- Learning about Andy Goldsworthy
- Making natural art
- Building birds nests
- Designing and planting a butterfly garden
- Learning The Very Hungry Caterpillar story
- Listening to ‘The Flight of the Bumblebee’
- Choreographing our own bumblebee dances
- Making snail art
- Learning about Henri Matisse
- Visiting the park
Plus many more fun activities!
The Kangaroos' topic this term will be Dinosaurs. During the next 10 weeks we will be:
- Learning the names of different dinosaurs
- Learning lots of dinosaur facts
- Composing some dinosaur music
- Stomping like a dinosaur
- Creating a dinosaur dance
- Using a map
- Hunting for dinosaur eggs
- Investigating materials
- Designing a package to protect a dinosaur egg
- Baking dinosaur biscuits
- Studying dinosaur teeth
- Sorting carnivores and herbivores
- Designing and making a Sockasaurus puppet
- Studying dinosaur footprints
- Creating a dinosaur factfile
Plus many more fun activities.
We will finish the term with an International theme. We will be having a school Eisteddfod to celebrate St. David’s Day, joining in with Fairtrade fortnight and visiting Conwy and Spain!
The Kangaroos’ topic this half term is based on the book ‘Can’t You Sleep Little Bear?’ by Martin Waddell.
During the next 7 weeks we will be:
- Exploring temperature
- Making thermometers
- Learning about Remembrance
- Learning bonfire safety
- Creating fireworks dances
- Creating an animation on the iPad
- Writing poetry
- Researching facts about bears
- Creating Christmas calendars
- Making lanterns
- Rehearsing our Christmas Nativity
- Learning Christmas carols
- Composing our own music
- Making a timeline
- Building dens
- Making shadow puppets
- Learning to care for animals in Winter
- Making bird feeders
- Choreographing a snowflake dance
- Acting out the Christmas story
- Making Christmas cards
- Creating electric circuits
- Making a digital book about our topic
Plus many other exciting activities.
The Kangaroos’ topic in term 1a was ‘Magnificent Me!’
During the 8 weeks we were:
- Drawing self-portaits
- Finding out about our homes and houses
- Making mud faces
- Designing and making paper doll chains
- Creating our class rules
- Talking about ourselves in Welsh
- Sharing our special memories with our friends
- Having a birthday party
- Singing lots of songs
- Making a fabric face
- Counting our friends
- Measuring our height
- Sequencing our school day
- Learning about our local area
- Finding out about our senses
- Finding out how to be a better learner
- Making 3d houses
- Celebrating Harvest
- Making skeletons
- Making and eating healthy food
- Finding out about our bodies
- Learning to keep ourselves strong and healthy
- Going on a nature walk
- Sharing our favourite toys
- Learning about toys from the past
Plus many more exciting activities!