Welcome to the Hedgehogs Class!
Class Teacher: Miss L. Jones
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Jones-Davies
LEA Support Staff: Mrs Jones
The Hedgehogs Class is a Year 1 class and we currently have 25 pupils. We like to have lots of fun and learn a range of new skills every day.
Every morning we have Read, Write, Inc sessions, Read, Write, Inc is a phonics programme designed to introduce the skills of reading and writing from initial sounds right through to comprehension and extended writing activities. We also have Mathematics in the mornings, we learn from the Inspire Maths programme.
The Hedgehogs Class is divided in to the different Foundation Phase Areas. Each area has a challenge to enhance our learning and develop new skills. This is changed throughout the half term depending on how the children lead their learning. We share our Outdoor Classroom with the other Year 1 classes, where the children can continue to enhance their skills.
We have PE sessions once a week on a Thursday, and during one term a year we go to the local Leisure Centre for half hour swimming lessons. The children will also have the opportunity to participate in gymnastics sessions. These sessions are delivered by a qualified instructor. Alongside these activities we also have many opportunities during the year for Forest Schools, Beach Schools and Diggerland with Mrs Roberts and Mrs Casson. We all look forward to these sessions!
In the Hedgehogs Class we work hard and we always try our best. We make sure that we all know the Ysgol Glan Gele’s special words, ‘Happy and Secure as we all learn Together’.
This half term our learning theme is:
‘Wriggle and Crawl’
Grab your coat and pooter, Year One are going out on a minibeast hunt!
Sweep your nets in puddles and ponds and lift up the nets to see who’s home. Then we will set up our own minibeast lab and observe their every move!
We are hoping to visit Pili Palas (Anglesey) to get some hands-on experience and to ask lots of questions before creating our own minibeast fact books. We will be researching using the internet and creating our own minibeast digital books, as well as stop movie animations!
We will be learning about bees, butterflies and worms too and planning our own investigations for instance: How far does a snail travel in a day?
On your belly, legs at the ready, it’s time to wriggle and crawl!
This half term our topic will be ‘What a Wonderful World’. We will have the opportunity to:
- Talk about ‘our community’ and what that means to us.
- Explore natural materials in the world around us
- Grow our own food and eat it!
- Build and design houses.
- Learn all about the seasons
- Talk about Fairtrade and what it means
- Try different foods and find out where they come from.
- Find out all about Poland in International Week.
- Look at pictures of Abergele from now and in the past.
This half term our topic will be ‘Toybox’. We will have the opportunity to:
- Find out about the Lego company
- Rescue superman frozen in ice!
- Make paper plans and other types of toys.
- Explore different types of materials
- Look at toys old and new
- Create a toy timeline of our life
- Create a map of Disneyland’s around the world.
- Find out where toys come from.
- Find out about Christmas back in time, as well as around the world.
Term 1a 2017
This half term our topic will be ‘Paws, claws and Whiskers’. We will have the opportunity to:
- Explore habitats and what ourselves and animals need to survive.
- Examine animal poo! (compost and water).
- Research the history of zoos.
- Write an animal fact file.
- Learn about zoologists like Steve Irwin.
- Make noises like different animals using musical instruments
- Take part in Harvest celebrations and learn why we celebrate Harvest.
- Draw animals as well as making new ones.
- Writing class rules and our school motto ‘Happy and secure as we all learn together’.