Welcome to the Lions Class!
Class Teacher: Mrs Laura Martin
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Angie Marr
Learning Support Assistant: Mrs Claire Twemlow
The Lions Class is a Year 2 class of 23 pupils. We work very, very hard in the Lions all year round!
Our classroom is divided into different Foundation Phase areas of learning, these areas are changed each half term to suit our topics. We work with Mrs Martin during our Immersion days to plan the activities in the areas to make sure they are challenging, fun and help us to learn more about our topic. We also have a lovely outdoor area and we have different learning areas outdoors too, these are also linked to our topics and ensure that we have access to different resources to further develop our skills.
The class door is opened at 8.45 and the register is taken at 9am, please be in school before this time.
Fruit and milk are given for snack, this can be paid for weekly or half termly.
The Lions PE Day is a Wednesday, please ensure all kits are in school on this day.
During Term 1 we visit Abergele Leisure Centre on a Friday for Swimming lessons, please ensure we have our kits on this day and that any earrings are removed or are taped over if ears are newly pierced.
We post pictures of what we are up to on Twitter, download the app and follow us if you haven't already!
We use the SeeSaw app to liaise with our parents, this is free to download and is a great way of communicating so please get it if you don't have it already!
Lars the Eco Bear goes home with one child each week, please help your child to fill in his diary and include pictures/ drawings/ leaflets from his weekend.
Our 'Share Session' is on a Friday from 3.15, if you have any questions or concerns then the Lions staff will be available on this day.
As we are in Year 2 we have many responsibilities around the school. We have two School Council Members, two ECO Committee members, two pupils on the Fairtrade Committee and two school buddies who ensure that playtimes at Ysgol Glan Gele are safe and happy. We also have two pupils on the Entrepreneurial Committee and four pupils who are play rangers, their job is to help make play times fun!
A school day in the Lions Class is always very busy and we are always working very hard. We have lots of opportunities to go on trips and visits and by the end of the year we aim to visit Bodelwyddan Castle, the RNLI, Talacre lighthouse, the Pavilion Theatre in Rhyl, Tesco and the beach.
Our Class Rules are ‘to use our manners' and 'to look after each other’, we do these on a daily basis and make our grown ups very proud and pleased.
Please find below an overview of the topics we are covering:
Term 1a - TUNNELS, TURRETS & TORTURE
Over the next 8 weeks we will be:
Over the next 7 weeks we will be:
- Making catapults and carrying out an investigation
- Building bridges
- Exploring our hearing in an investigation
- Making biscuit bridges and investigating them
- Learning about Reversible and Irreversible changes
- Learning about the artist Paul Klee and looking at his work ‘Castle and Sun’
- Creating self Portraits
- Designing and making shields
- Creating castle paintings
- Visiting Gwrych Castle
- Finding out about people and jobs in Castles
- Listening to, and writing, ‘The Great Escape’
- Learning more about the features of castles
- Finding out about castles in North Wales
- Researching weapons used in the past
- Planning and carrying out a Banquet
- Going on our annual trip
- Taking part in Glan Gele’s Got talent
- Involved in lots of Transition activities
- Taking part in Sports Day
- Spending our Attendance Money on a lovely treat!
as well as many other exciting activities!