Welcome to the Tigers Class Page!
2018 - 2019
Class Teacher: Miss J. Biddle
Teaching Assistant: Mrs D. Hansen
The Tigers Class is a Year 2 class. There are currently 26 children in the class and we all work very hard, we always try our best and we never give up!
In Year 2 we have lots of responsibilities in the classroom and around the School. We have two representatives for each of the following committees: School Council, Eco, Fairtrade and Entrepreneurial. We also have two buddies who help to look after the younger children during play times.
Over the School Year we will cover a variety of topics to develop our skills and knowledge! We will have the opportunity to go on lots of trips to enrich our learning experiences.
Throughout the year we learn about lots of exciting things! Please have a look below to find out more...
Term 2a - Moon Zoom!
This term the Tigers Class topic is ‘Moon Zoom!’
Our topic is based on the stories Bob the Man on the Moon, Aliens Love Underpants and Q Pootle 5. During the next 7 weeks, we will be:
- Designing and making our own moon buggies and investigating which one travels the furthest.
- Creating an alien using ICT.
- Making alien finger puppets.
- Planning and preparing for a Space Party.
- Making space biscuits.
- Finding out about how many people have been in to space and plotting them on a space timeline.
- Ordering the planets.
- Researching famous astronauts.
- Writing an application to be an astronaut.
- Writing a postcard from space.
- Creating a space terrain and navigating a robot around.
- Planning a space party.
- Creating telescope pastel paintings.
- Using the Green Screen app to create an advert to encourage people to visit the moon.
- Researching and recreating the work of the artist, Peter Thorpe.
- Recreating the work of the artist, Peter Thorpe.
- Listening and responding to the Story of Creation.
- Learning about the Chinese Zodiac Story.
- Learning about Santes Dwynwen the Welsh patron saint of lovers.
…as well as many other exciting activities!
Term 1 - Rio de Vida and Festive Fun!
This term our topic is ‘Rio de Vida and Festive Fun’. Over the Autumn term we will be…
- Finding out about and comparing carnivals around the world.
- Locating the location of different festivals on a map.
- Learning about the history of different festivals.
- Thinking about festivals and celebrations in our lives.
- Learning about Brazilian mythology.
- Finding out about the different costumes that people wear at carnivals.
- Listening to samba music.
- Researching Rio – the capital of Brazil.
- Learning about the Jewish festival ‘Rosh Hashanah’ and building our own sukkahs.
- Dancing to samba music.
- Designing and making a carnival float.
- Finding out – can water make music?
- Finding out more about the tomato festival.
- Making and tasting a variety of festival foods.
- Exploring how Harvest is celebrated around the world.
We will also be exploring different celebrations and festivals celebrated at this time of the year. The children will learn about Bonfire Night, Remembrance Day, Diwali and Hanukkah. During the last two weeks, the children will develop their understanding of Christmas in the past.
…as well as lots of other exciting activities!