Welcome to the Hedgehogs Class Page!
Class Teacher: Mr S. Jones
Teaching Assistant: Mrs J. Healey
LEA Support Staff: Ms V. Green
The Hedgehogs Class is a Year 1 class and we currently have 24 pupils. We like to have lots of fun and learn a range of new skills every day.
Schools starts at 8:45am so please make sure you arrive to school on time! Pick up time is at 3:15pm.
Here is some important information that you may find useful...
- Reading days - The children have allocated reading days, however please ensure that you send your child's book bag in every day. You will find your child's reading day on the sticker placed on their reading record.
- Snack - You are encouraged to send a piece of fruit in for snack with your child every day. If you send your child in with grapes, please ensure that they are cut in half, length ways. The children will be given milk/water at snack time but please feel free to send in a bottle of water that they can drink it throughout the school day.
- PE - Our PE sessions will take place every Tuesday. Please ensure that your child arrives to school wearing their PE kit. They can wear a t-shirt, jacket and shorts or jogging bottoms for their PE sessions.
- Homework - The children will bring home their learning logs on a Friday. Please can these be returned on a Wednesday of the following week. It is important that you support your child to complete their homework tasks. Sometimes homework tasks may be set online via Purple Mash, Reading Eggs or MathsSeeds.
- Share Sessions - Our share sessions take place every Wednesday between 3.15 - 3.30pm. Please feel free to pop in for a chat if you have any questions or concerns.
- Forest/Beach School - The children will access outdoor sessions throughout the year. I will notify you when these will take place!
Over the School Year we will cover a variety of topics to develop our skills and knowledge. We will have the opportunity to go on trips to enrich our learning experiences.
Throughout the year we learn about lots of exciting things! Please have a look below to find out more...
Our topic for Term 1a is... Nurturing Nature!
Over the next 8 weeks we will be:
- Settling into our new classroom
- Planting seeds and helping them grow
- Learning about different plants, flowers and trees
- Finding out what plants need to survive
- Exploring our outdoor areas in school
- Learning about different animals and what they need to survive
- Classifying animals and investigating where they live
- Using iPad’s to conduct research and record our findings
- Learning about humans and how we grow
- Investigating how we can keep healthy
- Tasting different types of food
- Asking questions, creating tally charts and graphs to show our findings
- Finding out how we can help protect our planet and look after the things around us
We will also be…
- Celebrating Harvest through exploring food
- Celebrating Diwrnod Shwmae Su’mae
- Creating an end of term video to showcase our wonderful learning
…as well as many other exciting activities!
In the Hedgehogs Class we work hard and we always try our best. We make sure that we all know the Ysgol Glan Gele’s special words, ‘Happy and Secure as we All Learn Together’.