Welcome to the Lions Class!
Class Teacher: Mrs Emma Shiland
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Jo Jones-Davies
Learning Support Assistant: Mrs Lisa Jones
The Lions Class is a Year 2 class of 22 pupils. We work very hard in the Lions all year round and have lots of fun!
Our classroom is divided into different Foundation Phase areas of learning, these areas are changed each half term to suit our topics. We work with Mrs Shiland during our Immersion days to plan the activities in the areas to make sure they are challenging, fun and help us to learn more about our topic. We also have a lovely outdoor area and we have different learning areas outdoors too, these are also linked to our topics and ensure that we have access to different resources to further develop our skills.
Our Special Class Words in the Lions' classroom are ‘Safe', 'Ready’ and 'Respect', we try to follow these these on a daily basis and make our grown ups very proud and pleased.
- The class door is opened at 8.45am and the register is taken at 9am, please be in school before this time.
- Snack Time - milk is provided, please send a piece of fruit in with your child to have at this time too.
- PE Day - is a Friday, please ensure that children come to school on this day wearing sports clothes suitable for indoor or outdoor use e.g. a tracksuit or leggings.
- We post pictures of what we are up to on Twitter, download the app and follow us if you haven't already!
- We use the SeeSaw app to liaise with our parents, this is free to download and is a great way of communicating so please get it if you don't have it already!
- Fflic a Fflac our Welsh puppets go home with one child each week, please help your child to fill in their diary and include pictures/ drawings and some Welsh words from their weekend. (This is not currently happening due to Covid.)
- Our 'Share Session' is on a Friday from 3.15, if you have any questions or concerns then the Lions staff will be available on this day.
- Reading books - Your child will be sent home with a reading book in their bag, this will state their reading day and they will be changed weekly
- Homework - Learning Logs are sent home on a Friday with tasks that complement the skills that we have been practicing in school that week.
Our Responsibilities in Year 2
We have many responsibilities around the school. We have two School Council Members, two ECO Committee members, two pupils on the Fairtrade Committee, two pupils in our Criw Cymraeg and two school buddies who ensure that playtimes at Ysgol Glan Gele are safe and happy. We also have two pupils on the Entrepreneurial Committee and four pupils who are play rangers, their job is to help make play times fun!
What are we doing this year?
A school day in the Lions Class is always very busy and we are always working very hard.
Please find below an overview of the topics we are covering this year. As we plan with the children these will be added throughout the year. Please see below for photos and more information.
Our topic for term 1a is... Marvellous Me!
Over the next 6 weeks we will be:
- Getting to know our new class
- Exploring the new classroom
- Talking about what and who is important to us
- Discussing our feelings
- Creating some class rules
- Learning about our fantastic brains and how to be a good learner
- Labelling different parts of our bodies
- Finding out what we look like on the inside
- Researching facts about our bodies
- Planning and carrying out some science investigations
Plus many more exciting activities.
We will be having a mini topic about... Harvest
During the last 2 weeks of term we will be:
- Finding out about Harvest and why we celebrate it
- Preparing for our Harvest festival
- Learning songs about Harvest
- Writing Harvest prayers
- Finding out where our food comes from
- Learning about food miles
- Finding out about sustainability
Plus many more exciting activities.