Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship.
The 7 Key Concepts of ESDGC are:
- Wealth and Poverty
- Identity and Culture
- Choices and Decisions
- Natural Environment
- Consumption and Waste
- Climate Change
All staff are responsible for delivering and promoting ESDGC at Ysgol Glan Gele. Mrs Sarah Davies oversees ESDGC as part of the Senior Leadership team in Ysgol Glan Gele. This role is supported by Miss Jodie Bidde and Miss Jenni Murnane.
The following teachers are responsible for the following areas:
International Schools and KUW – Mrs Sarah Davies
Fairtrade and KUW – Miss Jodie Biddle
Eco – Miss Jenni Murnane
At Ysgol Glan Gele our aims are to;
- Enable pupils to learn how to care for and protect their environment. In small, yet significant ways, we will strive to reduce pollution, and use our natural resources with thought and care. We will do this with the understanding that collectively, schools in Wales, the UK and globally, can make a huge difference.
- Help them to understand their own rights and responsibilities, as citizens locally and globally, and have respect for the rights and responsibilities of others. We will strive to give them knowledge and understanding about our world and the people who live in it and everyone’s relationship with the environment.
- Help them to develop the skills to be critical thinkers by giving them the facts. They will be given a variety of resources so that they can have balanced information and come to their own judgements.
- To extend and enhance students’ knowledge of the cultures and heritage of countries other than their own.
- Celebrate cultural, religious and linguistic diversity and foster positive attitudes towards others who are different to us.
- To encourage a respect and an understanding for other cultures, heritage, religious diversity and multilingualism and to develop an awareness of the similarities and differences in lifestyle and culture in a range of other countries.
- To encourage the development of links with other countries, looking in depth at a Comenius project to learn more from partner schools.