In Ysgol Glan Gele we are getting ready for an exciting new Welsh Curriculum to be launched in September 2022.
The changes have been brought about by the Welsh Government, asa studies of International Curriculum and Estyn reports have suggested that, in some areas, achievement is not as high as it could be.
We have been fortunate as a school to be given the opportunity to work alongside many of our colleagues in education to develop and shape this exciting new journey for our pupils. Ysgol Glan Gele is a Professional Learning School and we will help to share the new curriculum with our colleagues.
Important things that you need to know:
- In Ysgol Glan Gele children will continue to learn in a range of different ways - including focusing on skills, experience and knowledge. We will continue to provide our children with enriched learning experiences including many Learning Outside the Classroom opportunities.
- The principles of the Foundation Phase (which we have now) will stay the same and become part of a seamless curriculum transition from 3-16 year olds.
- There will be 6 new Areas of Learning and Experiences (AoLE):
- Expressive Arts
- Health and Well-being
- Languages, Literacy and Communication
- Mathematics and Numeracy
- Science and Technology
These will replace the current Foundation Phase Areas.
- There are four purposes to the curriculum and they are central and at the heart of the new curriculum, driving it forward. They are what we want our children to be like at the end of their journey through our curriculum. They are:
- Ambitious, capable learners who are ready to learn throughout their lives.
- Enterprising, creative contributors who are ready to play a full part in life and work.
- Ethical, informed citizens who are ready to be citizens of Wales and the world.
- Healthy, confident individuals who are ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
- Our children have thought about what these phrases mean to them, and we think they have explained them brilliantly. Have a look on this page Pupil Voice and the New Curriculum.
- Teachers have a Literacy and Numeracy framework, which is already embedded, and a digital competence framework, to develop their ICT skills.
The school has received a Professional Learning Grant from the Welsh Government to support the CPD of teachers to help them prepare for the introduction of the New Curriculum in Wales. In 19-20, Ysgol Glan Gele received £6,912 to support this process. Staff are collaborating within school, the Conwy schools Cluster and beyond to innovate and explore curriculum design. They will be visiting other schools and receive training to develop different pedagogical approaches that can support this process.